At the Genealogical Society of Victoria we hold classes on some of the subscription and other searchable databases but this is the first time we've created a seminar to focus on the things that will help you find those elusive ancestors. Part 1 [UK databases] was held in May and Part 2 [Australian databases] is now upon us.
There are still some vacancies for this seminar, Saturday 27 July 2013
Here is your chance to understand that every database is different and that to find someone you need to approach it differently. Human nature demands that we see a box, enter a surname, and hit search without thinking about:
- Database scope
- Search options
- Mandatory fields
- Date ranges
- and a heap of other issues impacting your search.
Databases and searchable options being covered in this Australian version of the seminar include:
- GSV library catalogue and GSV @ Home
- Digger BDMs and other options
- Findmypast AU [FMP]
- TheGenealogist and other UK DBs containing Australian DBs
- LDS / Family search
- Ancestry Australia
- Public Record Office Victoria [PROV]
- Newspapers and National Library of Australia [NLA / TROVE]
- TAS, QLD, WA and SA Archives [AOT, QSA, SROWA and SRSA]
- State Records New South Wales [SRNSW]
- National Archives of Australia [NAA]
- Government & Police Gazettes, Directories and Archive Digital Books
And for an added bonus - one lucky attendee will win a one year world subscription donated by findmypast.com.au .
Don't miss out - book today through our Online Shop.